I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I develop transport protocol and signalling standards, with a focus on real-time networked multimedia. I also work on transport services and APIs for the post-Sockets network, the implications of QUIC on applications and network operations, and how best to specify network protocols.
I'm co-chair of the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and previously co-chaired the Audio/Video Transport (1998-2008) and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control (2000-2007) working groups. I was a member of the Transport Area Directorate (2006-2015), and I'm a member of the Transport Area Review Team (2015-).
I contributed to MPEG-4 Systems in the Moving Picture Experts Group of the International Standards Organisation.
I'm author of RTP: Audio and Video for the Internet (Addison-Wesley, 2003). This book describes protocols and algorithms for transport of real-time multimedia over IP networks. It combines standards and research experience to explain the basics of RTP-based telephony, conferencing and streaming media applications.
- 4 July 2019 standards Talk about IRTF at 31st Multi-Service Networks workshop
- 3 July 2019 standards Talk about Developments in Internet Standards at Future Networks Workshop
- 27 May 2019 standards Attended IAB Retreat in Reykjavik
- 31 March 2019 standards Appointed IRTF chair
- 16 September 2018 standards Standards development support from StandICT.eu
IETF Contributions by Meeting
I contributed to the following IETF meetings:
- IETF 105: July 20-26, 2019 in Montreal, Canada
- IETF 104: March 23-29, 2019 in Prague, Czech Republic
- IETF 103: November 3-9, 2018 in Bangkok, Thailand
- IETF 102: July 14-20, 2018 in Montreal, Canada
- IETF 101: March 17-23, 2018 in London, UK
- Earlier meetings...
IETF Contributions by Name
I'm an author of the following active Internet-drafts:
A complete list of the Internet-drafts that I've worked on is also available.
Published Internet Standards and Other IETF RFCs
I authored the following IETF RFCs:
- Jonathan Lennox, Magnus Westerlund, Qin Wu, and Colin Perkins, Sending Multiple RTP Streams in a Single RTP Session, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 8108, March 2017. DOI:10.17487/RFC8108
- Colin Perkins and Varun Singh, Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers for Unicast RTP Sessions, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 8083, March 2017. DOI:10.17487/RFC8083
- Varun Singh, Colin Perkins, Alan Clark, and Rachel Huang, RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Report (XR) Block for Independent Reporting of Burst/Gap Discard Metrics, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 8015, November 2016. DOI:10.17487/RFC8015
- Colin Perkins and Magnus Westerlund, Securing the RTP Framework: Why RTP Does Not Mandate a Single Media Security Solution, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 7202, April 2014. DOI:10.17487/RFC7202
- Magnus Westerlund and Colin Perkins, Options for Securing RTP Sessions, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 7201, April 2014. DOI:10.17487/RFC7201
- Ali Begen and Colin Perkins, Duplicating RTP Streams, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 7198, April 2014. DOI:10.17487/RFC7198
- Ali Begen, Colin Perkins, Dan Wing, and Eric Rescorla, Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs), Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 7022, September 2013. DOI:10.17487/RFC7022
- Tom Phelan, Gorry Fairhurst, and Colin Perkins, DCCP-UDP: A Datagram Congestion Control Protocol UDP Encapsulation for NAT Traversal, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 6773, November 2012. DOI:10.17487/RFC6773
- Magnus Westerlund, Ingemar Johansson, Colin Perkins, Piers O'Hanlon, and Ken Carlberg, Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) for RTP over UDP, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 6679, August 2012. DOI:10.17487/RFC6679
- Colin Perkins and Jean-Marc Valin, Guidelines for the use of Variable Bit Rate Audio with Secure RTP, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 6562, March 2012. DOI:10.17487/RFC6562
- Magnus Westerlund and Colin Perkins, IANA Registry for Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) Options, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 6336, July 2011. DOI:10.17487/RFC6336
- Ali C. Begen, Colin Perkins, and Dan Wing, Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs), Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 6222, April 2011. DOI:10.17487/RFC6222
- Colin Perkins and Thomas Schierl, Rapid Synchronisation of RTP Flows, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 6051, November 2010. DOI:10.17487/RFC6051
- Jörg Ott and Colin Perkins, Guidelines for Extending the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP), Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 5968, September 2010. DOI:10.17487/RFC5968
- Colin Perkins, RTP and the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP), Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 5762, April 2010. DOI:10.17487/RFC5762
- Colin Perkins and Magnus Westerlund, Multiplexing RTP Data and Control Packets on a Single Port, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 5761, April 2010. DOI:10.17487/RFC5761
- Mark Handley, Van Jacobson and Colin Perkins, SDP: Session Description Protocol, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 4566, July 2006. DOI:10.17487/RFC4566
- Colin Perkins, RTP Payload Format for Uncompressed Video: Additional Colour Sampling Modes, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 4421, February 2006. DOI:10.17487/RFC4421
- Ladan Gharai and Colin Perkins, RTP Payload Format for Uncompressed Video, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 4175, September 2005. DOI:10.17487/RFC4175
- Ladan Gharai, Colin Perkins, Gary Goncher, and Allison Mankin, RTP Payload Format for Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) 292M Video, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 3497, March 2003. DOI:10.17487/RFC3497
- Jörg Ott, Colin Perkins, and Dirk Kutscher, A Message Bus for Local Coordination, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 3259, May 2002. DOI:10.17487/RFC3259
- Colin Perkins, Jonathan Rosenberg, and Henning Schulzrinne, RTP Testing Strategies, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 3158, August 2001. DOI:10.17487/RFC3158
- Mark Handley, Colin Perkins, and Edmund Whelan, Session Announcement Protocol, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 2974, October 2000. DOI:10.17487/RFC2974
- Mark Handley and Colin Perkins, Guidelines for Writers of RTP Payload Format Specifications, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 2736, December 1999. DOI:10.17487/RFC2736
- Colin Perkins and Orion Hodson, Options for Repair of Streaming Media, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 2354, June 1998. DOI:10.17487/RFC2354
- Colin Perkins, Isidor Kouvelas, Orion Hodson, Vicky Hardman, Mark Handley, Jean-Chrysostome Bolot, Andres Vega-Garcia, and Sacha Fosse-Parisis, RTP Payload for Redundant Audio Data, Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 2198, September 1997. DOI:10.17487/RFC2198
My participation in the IETF and IRTF has been funded by the following organisations: EPSRC EP/R04144X/1 (2018-2020), EU StandICT (2018-2019), Huawei (2010-2017, 2019-2020), Ericsson (2009,2012-2014), Cisco (2007-2012), UK National e-Science Centre (2003-2007), NSF #0230738 (2002-2003), DARPA (2000-2003), EU FP4 MERCI and MECCANO (1996-2000).