My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia, and on network protocol design, implementation, and specification. My current research is into post-Sockets APIs and transport services, the implications of QUIC on real-time applications and network operations, and improving the way we specify network protocol standards.
I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I co-chair the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and was previously co-chair of the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I played a key role in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport and signalling protocols such as RTP, SDP, and the WebRTC media transport layer.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 22 October 2020 publications New publication: A Survey of the Interaction between Security Protocols and Transport Services
- 14 October 2020 research Research service: TPC member for IEEE Global Internet Symposium 2021
- 8 September 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-17
- 7 September 2020 research CFP: IAB COVID-19 Network Impacts Workshop 2020
- 2 September 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-avtcore-cc-feedback-message-08
- 24 August 2020 photos Photos: Anniesland
- 9 August 2020 research Research service: TPC member for IAB COVID-19 Network Impacts Workshop 2020
- 7 August 2020 research Edge Computation and the Future of Transport - RA and PhD student positions available
- 4 August 2020 research Parsing Protocol Standards to Parse Standard Protocols
- 3 August 2020 standards IRTF activities co-located with IETF 108
- ... ... Older news...