My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia, and on network protocol design, implementation, and specification. My current research is into post-Sockets APIs and transport services, the implications of QUIC on real-time applications and network operations, and improving the way we specify network protocol standards.
I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I co-chair the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and was previously co-chair of the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I played a key role in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport and signalling protocols such as RTP, SDP, and the WebRTC media transport layer.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 21 May 2020 external IETF blog: How Survey Results Informed Preliminary IETF 108 Meeting Planning
- 18 May 2020 research Python library to access IETF Datatracker (ietfdata-v0.2.0)
- 15 May 2020 photos Photos: Swans on the Forth and Clyde
- 14 May 2020 external IETF blog: IETF 108 Will Be an Online Meeting
- 6 May 2020 external IETF blog: Update on IETF 108 Planning
- 1 May 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-15
- 27 April 2020 photos Photos: Social Distancing in Glasgow Botanic Gardens
- 24 April 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-mcquistin-augmented-ascii-diagrams-04
- 24 April 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-mcquistin-quic-augmented-diagrams-00
- 23 April 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-transport-security-12
- ... ... Older news...